This tutorial will teach you how to change the keyboard layout on your computer so it types in both Japanese and English. This tutorial is only for Windows (ideally, Windows Vista/7)!
- Click on “Start”
- Select “Control Panel”
- Click on “Clock, Language, and Region”
- Select “Change keyboards or other input methods” from the “Region and Language” menu
- Select “Change keyboards…” from the “Keyboards and Languages” tab
- Click “Add…”
- Scroll down and find “Japanese.” Then, click on the plus sign to expand it.
- Expand the “Keyboard” option as well
- Check the box saying “Microsoft IME.” If there is no option for that, select “Show More…”
- Press “Ok”
Congratulations! You’ve enabled a Japanese keyboard for your computer!
There should be a Language bar floating around somewhere on your computer. Most likely, it will be on your taskbar next to your clock.
To switch between English and Japanese, press CTRL and SHIFT at the same time or click on “EN” on the Language bar and select “JP.” To switch between Hiragana, Katakana, etc., simply change the input mode on the language bar.